Keeping your home dust free is one chore which might not be the cup of tea of many of us. We feel this is a waste of time and also laborious. Many of us are aware that vacuum cleaners have been around since forever. However, only with the emergence of robotic vacuums, life tends to get more convenient and easy. Most likely, there are some of you how want enjoy the total experience of owning a robovac. The automated operation of appliances and the change in technology has led to the invention of the robot vacuum cleaners which are ideal for almost all modern households. There used to be a time when this was considered a toy or something seen in a science fiction movie. Now, this is a reality. Here’s what you should be looking at when buying the best robot vacuums:
These vacuum cleaners are circular with a height of around 4 inches and approximately 12 inches in diameter. The control panel is usually on the top of the case, where one or several buttons may be found. Some of the models consist of LCD monitors which can assist you with the visual feedback. The front of some models has a bumper which is either spring-loaded or light touch. This works like sensor for different obstacles like furniture, walls or other. Some models have a flat front to be able to also reach corners.
How do they work?
Most of these vacuum cleaners move around with the help of two drive wheels and caster wheels which are non-driven (there are some who use other means, such as the rubber tank tracks of the new Dyson 360 Eye). The sensors inside and underneath the robot are able to provide the vacuum cleaner a feedback on the environment like the detection of staircase and the distance it has moved, besides the electronic status. These vacuum cleaners have motors for the rotation of the brushes and also for suction. When they are not used, the robots sit in the station for docking. It is advisable to keep station this in open areas rather than in cramped up places. The function of the station is charging the batteries when not in use.
During cleaning, if the robot vacuum is able to sense the light beam cast by the station it steers away from the station. Once the battery runs low or the cleaning is done with, the robot returns to the docking station. On the days the robot has been scheduled, it sets about its job of cleaning; leaving the station, returning when the cycle of cleaning is done. Usually, the robot returns to the station without cleaning cycle being complete only if the battery runs low.
Some benefits of owning a robot vacuum
- You might feel this is an expensive investment. However, this works out as expensive as any good traditional vacuum cleaner, which seems a plus point considering the advanced technology.
- They you save on a lot of time. There is no requirement of anyone guiding the robot vacuum cleaner as in traditional vacuums. You are able to schedule the vacuuming which can leave you free to attend to the other tasks in hand.
- You can think of a daily vacuuming, which might not be possible with the standard vacuum cleaners. A daily vacuuming, especially if you have carpets around, can save you from the grime ad dust and can also keep you healthy as allergens are wiped out.
- If you opt for a robot vacuum cleaner, you are able to save. This is due to the fact that maids work out more expensive and a robot vacuum can be considered a onetime investment, if the maintenance is done right.
- With these cleaners, there is no involvement of any person, which can save you from a lot of aches and pains. Sometimes employing a janitor can be difficult.
- The best robot vacuum cleaners are able to clean the corners and nooks which would otherwise be impossible to reach.
- You save on energy as most of these cleaners tend to use less of electricity and can increase or decrease the suction in accordance to the dirt in a specific area (e.g. the Roomba 980). This is definitely saving on the energy factor.
- Most of the HEPA filters are fitted into the robot vacuum cleaners, so that you do not pay anything extra.
- As these cleaners have a built-in dust bin you are not required to spend on the vacuum bags. This dust bin can be reused multiple times.
- These are a style statement, and many people feel proud to keep their robovac on display, which is unlike the traditional vacuum cleaners which need to be hidden.
Limitations of vacuum cleaner robots
Most models of the robot vacuum cleaners have specific limitations which might include:
- not being able to climb or descend from staircases
- the sensors of robot vacuum cleaners might not be able to work on surfaces which dark/black
- not being able to operate beyond a slope of 30 to 35 degrees.
Choosing the right robot vacuum cleaner
You can choose between robot vacuum cleaners which can be controlled from an app on your smartphone, or the Wi-fi enabled robots which can be controlled even if you are on the go. You can look for lithium ion batteries which tend to be long lasting. If your home has hard floors you can look for units specifically made for this type of chore. These are quite affordable and are ideal for linoleum, wood and tiled flooring. There are robot vacuum cleaners especially designed for those who own pets as these cleaners have a suction which can be termed as “extra-powerful”, as well as good filters. However, before opting for a specific robot vacuum cleaner it is advisable to check on the battery life, besides the price.
Top 3 Robot vacuum cleaners comparison chart 2017
Check out this year’s best vacuum cleaner robots:
|Top 3 Robot vacuum cleaners||Overall Rating (1-10)||Suction Power||Battery life||Noise||Sensors||Customer Feedback|
|iRobot Roomba 980||9.2||9||8.5||8.5||9.5||9.5|
|Neato Botvac Connected||8.7||9.5||9||9||8.5||8.5|
|Dyson 360 Eye||9.1||10||8||8||9.5||9|
*Click on the vacuum cleaners above to see additional customer feedback reviews and price on Amazon.com